Detect all connected hard drives under DOS in AHCI mode
A small example on how to detect all connected hard drives under 32-bit DOS extender and AHCI. The source code will compile under a recent version of WATCOM C++ (1.9 or higher). These are the steps executed by the code :
- BIOS functions from interrupt 0x1A are used to call PCI routines
- Full AHCI engine in 32-bit protected mode.
- Ability to detect hard drives on any AHCI port.
- ATA identify command is sent to each drive connected via AHCI link
- Information about drive model, drive serial number and drive firmware revision is displayed.
All code that is linked from forums is under MIT license.